INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL ADVERTISEMENT
HIGH COURT PARALEGAL
JOHANNESBURG LOCAL OFFICE
Legal Aid SA is a national public entity; a key contributor to South Africa’s constitutional democracy, providing quality legal services to poor and vulnerable persons. The organisation has a national footprint. Legal Aid SA is an accredited Top Employer SA for 11 consecutive years – a credible employer of choice. Its culture is rooted in leadership, driven by the value and advancement of human rights. It offers an exciting Employment Value Proposition with opportunities for development, career growth and an inspiring workplace.
Applications are invited from persons interested to fill the above-mentioned position. The incumbent will be appointed on a permanent basis. The position is based in Johannesburg, at the Legal Aid SA Johannesburg Local Office.
- Support the Local Office’s legal staff by providing paralegal services to persons qualifying for legal aid.
- Identify and solve matters that are not of a litigious nature.
- Identify cases of a litigious nature and handover.
- Keep the client database up to date.
- Conduct interviews with people applying for legal assistance.
- Assist the client with the completion of forms.
- Capturing of matters/file administration – provide assistance with legal admin functions.
- DCS search – offender information queries.
- Prisoner letter processing/dealing with correspondence/mail.
- Dealing with e-mail correspondence/other Local Office’s requests.
- Daily prison visits – consultation/documents to be signed such as affidavits/obtaining instructions on appeals/petitions.
- Obtaining power of attorneys/LA1 – office work (fax/mail/scanning/telephone calls etc).
- Obtaining power of attorneys for appeal/petition matters – visiting prisons (many new appeal matters quarterly to be attended to – to collate with appeal dates).
- Matters search and attending to telephone queries.
- Consulting walk-in clients.
- Support function to HC Practitioners (copies/administration/binding of documents/office filing).
- Filing of heads of argument.
COMPETENCIES REQUIRED (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ATTRIBUTES)
- Matric and one (1) year Paralegal qualification.
- Computer literacy.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to relate at all levels.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- A valid unendorsed code 8 driver’s license is required.
- Willingness to visit correctional facilities and to interact with inmates.
BASIC SALARY: LEVEL 6 R208 584.00 per annum plus benefits.
A detailed curriculum vitae reflecting practical application of the position outputs and the required competencies as advertised must be submitted by close of business on 10 December 2019, quoting the reference number JHB/PAR-HC/22/11/2019 in the subject line to GPRecruit@legal-aid.co.za or apply online at www.legal-aid.co.za
Enquiries to Freddy Raseotse, Tel: 011 870 1480
Preference will be given to candidates in terms of the Legal Aid SA Employment Equity Plan. People with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
LEGAL AID SA RESERVES THE RIGHT NOT TO APPOINT.
Please login/register to apply online