War Veteran’s Grant

In order to apply for a War Veteran’s Grant the applicant must:

  • Be a South Africa citizen, or a permanent resident
  • Be resident in South Africa at the time of application
  • Be 60 years and over
  • Have fought in the First World War (1914-1918), the Second World War (1939-1945) or the Korean War (1950-1953)
  • Not be cared for in a wholly funded State Institution
  • If married, your spouse must comply with the means test

Special grants have been introduced for war veterans who fought in the liberation struggle for a democratic South Africa. If a person thinks that they qualify they should contact their political party.

The Special Pension makes provision for individuals who made sacrifices in fighting for a democratic South Africa., In the event of the death of those who fought, their survivors may receive a pension or lump sum payment.

Applicants for a grant must have proof of the following before applying for a grant:

  • South African identity document (to prove identity, citizenship and age)
  • Proof of ‘official war’ service (discharge certificate or medals)
  • If the applicant is under 60 years, they need to bring a medical assessment or report stating that they are disabled and cannot work
  • If single, an affidavit stating this fact
  • Marriage certificate, if the person is married
  • Divorce papers if they are divorced
  • An affidavit if the spouse has deserted the applicant for more than 3 consecutive months
  • Death certificate, if their husband or wife died
  • If the person is employed, a wage certificate
  • If the person is unemployed, any UIF record of registration, discharge certificate from your previous employer and affidavit made at a police station to state you are unemployed
  • If they have a private pension, proof of the pension
  • If they have a bank account, bring a bank statement of three consecutive months
  • Proof of any other income and assets

*Information obtained courtesy – Black Sash