Grant in Aid

The Grant-in-Aid is a social grant intended to provide for the basic needs of adults who are unable to care for themselves and is certified by a medical officer to be in need of full-time care from someone else.

The Grant-in-Aid is provided as an additional grant to adults who are already receiving one of the following grants: Older Person’s Grant / Disability Grant / War Veteran’s Grant. The Grant-in-Aid is not paid out on its own – it must be in addition to a main social grant. Please note this grant is paid out to the person receiving the main grant, and not to their assistant. In addition, the means test for the Grant-in-Aid, is linked to that of the adult grant.

In order to apply for a Grant-in-Aid you must be:

  • A South African citizen, or a permanent resident, or a refugee in respect of the Disability Grant
  • Resident in South Africa at the time of application
  • Receiving an adult social grant
  • Require full-time care by another person due to a physical or mental disability.
  • Not be cared for in a wholly funded state institution

What do you need in order to apply?

  • South African bar-coded identity document (to prove identity, citizenship and age)
  • A medical report or medical assessment report (less than 3 months old)
  • If single, an affidavit stating this fact
  • Marriage certificate, if you are married
  • Divorce papers if you are divorced
  • Death certificate, if your husband or wife died
  • If you are employed, a wage certificate
  • If you are unemployed, any UIF record of registration, discharge certificate from your previous employer
  • If you have a private pension, proof of the pension
  • If you have a bank account, bring a bank statement of three consecutive months
  • Proof of any other income and assets

*Information obtained courtesy – Black Sash