The Grant-in-Aid is provided as an additional grant to adults who are already receiving one of the following grants: Older Person’s Grant / Disability Grant / War Veteran’s Grant. The Grant-in-Aid is not paid out on its own – it must be in addition to a main social grant. Please note this grant is paid out to the person receiving the main grant, and not to their assistant. In addition, the means test for the Grant-in-Aid , is linked to that of the adult grant.
In order to apply for a Grant-in-Aid you must be:
- A South Africa citizen, or a permanent resident, or a refugee in respect of the Disability Grant
- Resident in South Africa at the time of application
- Receiving an adult social grant
- Require full-time care by another person due to a physical or mental disability.
- Not be cared for in a wholly funded state institution
What do you need in order to apply?
- South African bar-coded identity document (to prove identity, citizenship and age)
- A medical report or medical assessment report (less than 3 months old)
- If single, an affidavit stating this fact
- Marriage certificate, if you are married
- Divorce papers if you are divorced
- Death certificate, if your husband or wife died
- If you are employed, a wage certificate
- If you are unemployed, any UIF record of registration, discharge certificate from your previous employer
- If you have a private pension, proof of the pension
- If you have a bank account, bring a bank statement of three consecutive months
- Proof of any other income and assets
*Information obtained courtesy –Blacksash