How to correct errors that appear in Identity Document

If you have applied for an ID book and when you receive your ID book and there are errors in the personal information contained within, the Department of Home Affairs will replace your ID book free of charge.

To apply to correct information in your ID book, simply submit the following to any office of the Department of Home Affairs:

  1. Forms BI-9 and BI-309 completed with the correct information – these are obtainable at the department of Home Affairs
  2. Proof of the error that shows the correct information e.g. birth certificate
  3. Two identical colour photographs (NOT needed at smartcard offices as ID images are captured digitally)