Re-issuing of an ID book

You can apply to have your ID book re-issued in the following instances:

  • If you are married and want to assume the surname of your spouse.
    You must submit a copy of your marriage certificate, a completed application Form BI-9 and a pay the required fee.
  • If you are a woman and want to apply for a new ID in the name of any of your previous surnames, then documentary proof showing you are entitled to use that surname must be provided (i.e. a birth certificate, a marriage certificate, etc) along with a completed Form BI-9. You will also be required to pay a fee for the re-issue.
  • If your ID book has been lost, stolen or damaged

You can apply for a replacement by:

  1. Completing Form BI-9 as well if you have not previously submitted your fingerprints
  2. Attaching additional documents as required (e.g. a marriage certificate if you are married)
  3. Paying the required fee for the re-issue

In the event you lose, damage or have your ID book stolen, you may request a Temporary Identification Certificate (TIC).
This can be done at any office of the Department of Home Affairs and is subject to the verification of your fingerprints.