INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL ADVERTISEMENT
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
NATIONAL OFFICE – BRAAMFONTEIN
SALARY PACKAGE: COMPETITIVE NEGOTIABLE REMUNERATION PACKAGE
Legal Aid SA is a national public entity; a key contributor to South Africa’s constitutional democracy providing quality legal services to poor and vulnerable persons. The organisation has a national footprint. An accredited Top Employer SA for 10 consecutive years, Legal Aid SA is a credible employer of choice. Its culture is rooted in leadership, driven by the value and advancement of human rights. It offers an exciting Employment Value Proposition with opportunities for development, career growth and an inspiring workplace. The current CEO’s term of employment ends on 31 October 2019.
Applications are invited from persons interested to fill the above-mentioned position. The incumbent will be appointed on a fixed term contract and will be expected to sign a performance contract. The position is based at the National Office in Johannesburg (Braamfontein).
- Provide strategic leadership in the development of Legal Aid SA strategic plan, Medium Term Expenditure Framework and annual budgets in relation to the delivery of legal aid services by the organisation.
- Accountable for the development and strategic positioning of Legal Aid SA. The incumbent must ensure the preparation of corporate plans, programmes and corporate documents dealing with strategic interventions, strategic projects and the long term sustainability of Legal Aid SA, in order to meet shareholder, client and stakeholder needs within Legal Aid SA’s constitutional and legal mandate.
- Participates in the Board and Board Committees of Legal Aid SA in Executive Director capacity.
- Supports the Board to fulfil its governance obligations and is accountable for good corporate governance at Legal Aid SA.
- Leads the Management Committee and Management Executive Committee to ensure the execution of the organisation’s long and short term plans in accordance with its strategy.
- Develops and ensures the execution of an enterprise risk management strategy, including anti-fraud and anti-corruption management strategy, for Legal Aid SA.
- Develops and ensures the execution of a sustainability strategy so as to enable Legal Aid SA to fulfil its mandate in the short, medium and long term.
- Assumes all the responsibilities of an Accounting Officer in terms of the PFMA, accountable for directing the fiscal activities of the organisation including long term and short term budgeting, reporting and auditing in compliance with the PFMA and other relevant accounting and auditing standards.
- Leads the culture of the organisation ensuring high performance value based employee engagement and capable authentic leadership at all levels of management.
- Defines and positions the Legal Aid SA brand and ensures the facilitation of communication between Legal Aid SA and all its clients and stakeholders.
COMPETENCIES (KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES) REQUIRED
- A recognised university undergraduate degree (Postgraduate qualifications will be an added benefit).
- More than 10 years’ general management experience with 5 years at an executive management level.
- Experience in strategic planning, business planning and the development of operation plans with a strong focus on monitoring and reporting.
- A demonstrated people development approach and strong leadership skills.
- Working experience in the legal sector will be an advantage.
- In depth knowledge of leadership and management and how to implement and leverage these within a complex business environment preferably within a national footprint.
- Working knowledge of the Constitution, PFMA, National Treasury Regulations, Legal Aid SA Act and other relevant Statutes and King IV Code of Corporate Governance.
- Able to create “strategic integration” between the Board, Executive and organisation as a whole in order to fully garner the required execution premium.
- Able to lead Executive Management to deliver the achievement of strategic objectives.
A detailed curriculum vitae reflecting the practical application of the position outputs and the required competencies as advertised must be submitted by close of business on 20 May 2019, by email ONLY, quoting the reference number NO/CEO/02/05/2019 in the subject line to CEORecruit@legal-aid.co.za
Enquiries to Richard Baloyi
Tel: 011 877 2131
Preference will be given to candidates in terms of the Legal Aid SA Employment Equity Plan.
People with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
LEGAL AID SA RESERVES THE RIGHT NOT TO APPOINT. CANDIDATES NOT CONTACTED BY 1 AUGUST 2019 SHOULD CONSIDER THEIR APPLICATIONS UNSUCCESSFUL.