INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL RE-ADVERTISEMENT
NATIONAL OFFICE – BRAAMFONTEIN
Legal Aid SA is a National Public Entity; a key contributor to South Africa’s constitutional democracy, providing quality legal services to indigent and vulnerable persons. The organisation has a national footprint in all nine provinces. Legal Aid SA is a credible employer of choice, boasting Top Employer SA accreditation for 11 consecutive years. We offer an exciting Employment Value Proposition with opportunities for development, career growth and an inspiring workplace.
Applications are invited from persons interested to fill the above-mentioned position. The incumbent will be appointed on a permanent basis. The position is based at the National Office in Braamfontein.
- Manage, maintain and implement the Strategic Litigation Strategy and Policy of Legal Aid South Africa.
- Manage and lead own legal team.
- Assess applications/proposals for litigation or funding of strategic litigation matters and prepare merit reports for consideration by the Constitutional Case Management Committee (CCMC).
- Source, identify, investigate and develop strategic litigation matters for litigation by own Strategic Litigation Team.
- Manage and/or conduct/undertake strategic litigation in terms of the Strategic Litigation Policy once approved by CCMC.
- Coordinate, manage and provide support for Strategic Litigation matters conducted by High Court Units and Local Offices.
- Prepare reports for CCMC relating to Strategic Litigation matters managed, supported or undertaken by own legal team.
- Prepare reports for Executive Management, CCMC and Board relating to matters managed, supported and undertaken by own legal team.
- Together with the Chief Legal Executive, establish, manage and maintain stakeholder relationships with all relevant stakeholders, including the marketing of the services of the Strategic Litigation Team.
- Manage, supervise and mentor Professional Staff of own Strategic Litigation Team.
COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & ATTRIBUTES) REQUIRED
- LLB or other relevant legal qualification.
- Admitted Legal Practitioner with the right of appearance in all South African courts, including the High Court.
- Strong technical and functional knowledge of the core legal practice disciplines and how to implement and leverage these within a complex legal environment, preferably within a public interest law or human rights sector: Litigation at Supreme Court of Appeal and Constitutional Court Level; Legal Research; Legal Drafting; Legal Training and Development; Legal Ethical and Professional Standards.
- The ability to implement leading legal practices to ensure functional integration of legal services delivery across a national footprint.
- The ability to be strategic, proactive, multi-task, prioritise and thrive in a fast-paced, demanding work environment.
- Able to partner with internal and external stakeholders to ensure the achievement of strategic objectives.
- A highly respected senior Legal Practitioner (10 years post-admission relevant litigation experience (both criminal and civil) of which a minimum of 5 years is in the Higher Courts).
- A proven track record in successfully undertaking complex litigation particularly in constitutional rights and socio-economic rights matters.
- A proven track record of legal research capabilities.
- A demonstrated ability to operate at a strategic legal technical level dealing with complex legal matters in the Higher Courts.
SALARY LEVEL LP-10: R1 285 158.00 per annum (All-inclusive package)
A detailed curriculum vitae reflecting practical application of the position outputs and the required competencies as advertised must be submitted by close of business on 21 July 2020, quoting the reference number NO/SL/03/07/2020 in the subject line to Recruit@legal-aid.co.za or apply online at www.legal-aid.co.za
Enquiries to Richard Baloyi, Tel: 011 877 2000
Preference will be given to candidates in terms of the Legal Aid SA Employment Equity Plan. People with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
LEGAL AID SA RESERVES THE RIGHT NOT TO APPOINT
Please login/register to apply online