REF: NO/LE – LRM/09/08/2020
INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL ADVERTISEMENT
LEGAL EXECUTIVE – LAND RIGHTS MANAGEMENT
SALARY PACKAGE: COMPETITIVE NEGOTIABLE REMUNERATION PACKAGE
Legal Aid SA is a National Public Entity; a key contributor to South Africa’s constitutional democracy, providing quality legal services to indigent and vulnerable persons. The organisation has a national footprint in all nine provinces. Legal Aid SA is a credible employer of choice, boasting Top Employer SA accreditation for 11 consecutive years. We offer an exciting Employment Value Proposition with opportunities for development, career growth and an inspiring workplace.
Applications are invited from suitable persons interested to fill the above-mentioned position. The incumbent will be expected to sign a performance contract. The position reports to the CEO and is based at the National Office in Johannesburg (Braamfontein).
- Provide strategic support to the Chief Executive Officer in the development of a Strategic Plan, operational plans and budgets in relation to the delivery of the land claims legal services offering.
- Participate as a member of the Management Executive Committee and the Management Committee with a specific focus on the delivery of legal representation in land-related matters services offering.
- Provide strategic direction, guidance and lead the implementation of setting up a new business capability for land legal representation within Legal Aid SA.
- Oversee the transfer of the legal representation function (and related budget) currently undertaken by the Land Rights Management Facility of the Department of Agriculture, Land Reform and Rural Development to Legal Aid SA.
- Research, anticipate and mitigate against legal risks facing Legal Aid SA and develop organisational policy positions on legal representation in land-related matters services.
- Develop and maintain strategic partnerships with the relevant stakeholders – private and public bodies in order to leverage opportunities for the delivery of land claims legal services outside of the Legal Aid SA national footprint.
- Develop and maintain strategic service provider partnerships with the legal profession by developing, maintaining and managing an outsourced system of briefing accredited Legal Practitioners in order to leverage opportunities to increase the scope of land legal services delivery.
- Maintain strategic business partnerships with the Legal Aid SA Executives in order to ensure the achievement of Legal Aid SA strategic objectives.
- Ensure the effective implementation of a sound Governance Framework for the legal services delivery operating system and oversee compliance with all relevant legislation.
COMPETENCIES (KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES) REQUIRED
- LLB or other relevant South African legal qualification.
- A highly respected Legal Practitioner with 10 years’ experience in legal representation on land-related matters, five (5) of which should be in a senior position.
- An Admitted Legal Practitioner with the right of appearance in South African courts.
- Strong knowledge of legal representation on land-related matters’ core business administration processes and systems.
- Ability to lead, influence and persuade in the best interests of Legal Aid SA.
- Strong knowledge of land reform disciplines and how to implement and leverage these within a complex business environment, with particular skills at the Land Claims Court, High Court, Supreme Court of Appeal and Constitutional Court level. Litigation skills, legal drafting, legal research, legal practice ethical and professional compliance management.
- Experience in providing critical customer and stakeholder needs and insights in the implementation of land reform legal representation matters.
- Project and programme management experience is essential.
- Excellent organisation and leadership skills, business acumen and the ability to deal with ambiguity, meet demanding deadlines and manage projects.
- Ability to lead by creating an inspired vision, modelling the way and creating an environment which maximises team effectiveness.
- Able to partner with the support platform Executives in the achievement of strategic objectives.
A detailed curriculum vitae reflecting the practical application of the position outputs and the required competencies as advertised must be submitted by close of business on 20 August 2020 by email, quoting the reference number NO/LE – LRM/09/08/2020 in the subject line to LAB.Recruitment@legal-aid.co.za
Enquiries to Richard Baloyi, Tel: 011 877 2000
Preference will be given to candidates in terms of the Legal Aid SA Employment Equity Plan. People with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
LEGAL AID SA RESERVES THE RIGHT NOT TO APPOINT.