PRINCIPAL LEGAL PRACTITIONER – CIVIL
INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL RE-ADVERTISEMENT
STELLENBOSCH LOCAL OFFICE
Legal Aid SA is a National Public Entity; a key contributor to South Africa’s constitutional democracy, providing quality legal services to indigent and vulnerable persons. The organisation has a national footprint in all nine provinces. Legal Aid SA is a credible employer of choice, boasting Top Employer SA accreditation for 13 consecutive years. We offer an exciting Employment Value Proposition with opportunities for development, career growth and an inspiring workplace.
Applications are invited from persons interested to fill the above-mentioned position. The incumbent will be appointed on a permanent basis. The position is based in Stellenbosch.
- Manage legal aid to the poor in the area of jurisdiction.
- Monitor case flow management of Professional Assistants, Candidate Attorneys and Judicare at the courts.
- Support and advise clients in line with common law principles and practice and accurate interpretation of contracts.
- Act as Principal for Candidate Attorneys.
- Supervise and guide Professional Assistants and Paralegals.
- Manage the allocation of cases to private practitioners (Judicare).
- Train and develop staff.
- Preparation and maintenance of the annual budgets for the Local Office.
- Efficient and effective sound management of Local Office operations.
COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & ATTRIBUTES) REQUIRED
- Admitted attorney or advocate, the latter must have completed pupilage successfully at an institution recognised by Legal Aid SA.
- LLB or equivalent.
- At least twelve years’ post-qualification legal experience, with a minimum of ten years’ post-admission experience of which four years should be court experience.
- Excellent leadership and people management skills.
- Must demonstrate an ability to manage a varied practice.
- Demonstrate an ability to train Candidate Attorneys as Professional Assistants.
- Strong analytical ability and excellent communication skills.
- Must possess a valid driver’s licence.
Salary Package: SU – 1 R859,749.00 all-inclusive package per annum
A detailed curriculum vitae reflecting practical application of the position outputs and the required competencies as advertised must be submitted by close of business on 11 February 2022, quoting the reference number STEL/PLP-CIV/28/01/2022 in the subject line to WCNCRecruit@legal-aid.co.za or apply online at www.legal-aid.co.za
Enquiries to Sipho Cuntswana, Tel: 021 882 9221
The employment decision shall be informed by the Employment Equity Plan of Legal Aid SA. It is Legal Aid SA’s intention to promote equity (race, gender and disability) through the filling of this post(s) with a candidate whose transfer/promotion/appointment will promote representivity in line with the numerical targets as contained in our Employment Equity Plan. Legal Aid SA reserves the right to withdraw posts or not to make an appointment, if by doing so, the interests of Legal Aid SA will be best served.
Please login/register to apply online