INTERNAL & EXTERNAL ADVERTISEMENT
HIGH COURT PARALEGAL
DURBAN LOCAL OFFICE
Legal Aid SA is a National Public Entity; a key contributor to South Africa’s constitutional democracy, providing quality legal services to indigent and vulnerable persons. The organisation has a national footprint in all nine provinces. Legal Aid SA is a credible employer of choice, boasting Top Employer SA accreditation for 13 consecutive years. We offer an exciting Employment Value Proposition with opportunities for development, career growth and an inspiring workplace.
Applications are invited from persons interested to fill the above-mentioned position. The incumbent will be appointed on a permanent basis. The position is based in Durban.
To support Legal Practitioners and office operation by providing an administrative support service in accordance with Legal Aid SA policies, procedures and standards.
- Support the Local Office’s legal staff by providing Paralegal services to persons qualifying for legal aid.
- Identify and solve matters that are not of a litigious nature.
- Identify cases of a litigious nature and hand over.
- Keep the client database up to date.
- Conduct interviews with people applying for legal assistance.
- Assist the client with the completion of forms.
- Capturing of matters/file administration – provide assistance with legal admin functions.
- DCS search – offender information queries.
- Prisoner letter processing/dealing with correspondence/mail.
- Dealing with e-mail correspondence/other Local Office requests.
- Daily prison visits – consultation/documents to be signed such as affidavits/obtaining instructions on appeals/petitions.
- Obtaining power of attorneys/LA1 – office work (fax/mail/scanning/telephone calls, etc.).
- Obtaining power of attorneys for appeal/petition matters – visiting prisons (many new appeal matters quarterly to be attended to – to collate with appeal dates).
- Matters search and attending to telephone queries.
- Consulting walk-in clients.
- Support function to High Court Practitioners (copies/administration/binding of documents/office filing).
- Filing of Heads of Argument.
COMPETENCIES REQUIRED (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ATTRIBUTES)
- Matric and one (1) year Paralegal qualification.
- Computer literacy.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to relate at all levels.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- A valid unendorsed code 8 driver’s licence is required.
- Willingness to visit correctional facilities and interact with inmates.
BASIC SALARY: LEVEL 6 R211,713.00 per annum plus benefits.
A detailed curriculum vitae reflecting practical application of the position outputs and the required competencies as advertised must be submitted by close of business on 22 February 2022, quoting the reference number DBN/PAR-HC/04/02/2022 in the subject line to KZNRecruit@legal-aid.co.za or apply online at www.legal-aid.co.za
Enquiries to Lusindiso Nqumse, Tel: 031 304 0100
The employment decision shall be informed by the Employment Equity Plan of Legal Aid SA. It is Legal Aid SA’s intention to promote equity (race, gender and disability) through the filling of this post(s) with a candidate whose transfer/promotion/appointment will promote representivity in line with the numerical targets as contained in our Employment Equity Plan. Legal Aid SA reserves the right to withdraw posts or not to make an appointment, if by doing so, the interests of Legal Aid SA will be best served.
Please login/register to apply online