ADMIN OFFICER – CIVIL
INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL ADVERTISEMENT
VERULAM LOCAL OFFICE
Legal Aid SA is a National Public Entity; a key contributor to South Africa’s constitutional democracy, providing quality legal services to indigent and vulnerable persons. The organisation has a national footprint in all nine provinces. Legal Aid SA is a credible employer of choice, boasting Top Employer SA accreditation for 13 consecutive years. We offer an exciting Employment Value Proposition with opportunities for development, career growth and an inspiring workplace.
Applications are invited from persons interested to fill the above-mentioned position. The incumbent will be appointed on a permanent basis. The position is based in Verulam.
To provide administrative and secretarial support to the Civil Unit in accordance with Legal Aid SA policies, procedures and standards.
- Carry out the Civil Unit’s administrative function effectively.
- Provide efficient secretarial support to the Civil Unit.
- Obtain, source, type, proofread, make copies and distribute according to instructions received.
- Co-ordinate and monitor all Civil Unit administrative matters.
- Participate and provide support to implement an effective filing and diary system to ensure that the Civil Unit addresses matters on behalf of clients and manages availability of the Practitioner.
- Assist Legal Practitioners with all ancillary matters to the preparation and presentation of cases.
- Develop and maintain a system to ensure that receipt of documents emanating from other units and/or offices is acknowledged.
- Develop a system to ensure that documents received from opponent attorneys are received and distributed to the relevant practitioner, timeously.
- Develop a system to record sensitive documents and to ensure same day distribution of these documents.
- Gather required information and arrange for consultative interviews.
- Assist with the completion of routine forms for Legal Practitioners and ensure that they are submitted for approval.
- Maintain and update meeting schedules.
- Maintain record keeping and filing system.
- Ensure that reports and documentation are timeously sent/delivered to the relevant people.
- Ensure that physical assets are reconciled to each individual office list at the office on a monthly basis.
- Maintenance and issuing of stationery in accordance with relevant Legal Aid SA procedures.
- Maintain attendance registers in accordance with the Legal Aid SA HR Policy.
- Maintain a register of mail items and court documents sent by Docex and track their delivery.
- Maintain a register of documents sent to the High Court Unit, Strategic Litigation Unit and Senior Litigator.
- Maintain list with regular fax numbers and double check with customers to determine full instructions for handling of fax with full adherence to customer instructions.
- Always attach successful transmission report to sent faxes.
- Attend to photocopying and binding of documents as required.
- Attend to proper allocation of duplication/stationery costs as per Legal Aid SA policies/procedures.
- Assist with the accurate completion of practitioner Matter Activity Reports (MARs) and updating of any webpages designed to capture information for the Civil Unit.
- Keep handy the complete list of all relevant contact numbers for office personnel and major customers/role players at all times.
- Adhere to proper telephone etiquette, accurate taking and conveying of messages at all times.
COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ATTRIBUTES) REQUIRED
- A recognised Grade 12 certificate.
- Minimum one (1) year relevant admin and secretarial experience within a legal environment.
- Understanding and application of basic computer software packages.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Attention to detail.
Basic Salary: Level 5 (R176,310.00) plus benefits per annum
A detailed curriculum vitae reflecting practical application of the position outputs and the required competencies as advertised must be submitted by close of business on 22 February 2022, quoting the reference number VER/AOC/04/02/2022 in the subject line to KZNRecruit@legal-aid.co.za or apply online at www.legal-aid.co.za
Enquiries to Siyasanga Jingqi, Tel: 032 533 2654
The employment decision shall be informed by the Employment Equity Plan of Legal Aid SA. It is Legal Aid SA’s intention to promote equity (race, gender and disability) through the filling of this post(s) with a candidate whose transfer/promotion/appointment will promote representivity in line with the numerical targets as contained in our Employment Equity Plan. Legal Aid SA reserves the right to withdraw posts or not to make an appointment, if by doing so, the interests of Legal Aid SA will be best served.
Please login/register to apply online