JUNIOR LEGAL PRACTITIONER – CIVIL
INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL ADVERTISEMENT
MODIMOLLE LOCAL OFFICE (LAND RIGHTS MANAGEMENT UNIT)
Legal Aid SA is a National Public Entity; a key contributor to South Africa’s constitutional democracy, providing quality legal services to indigent and vulnerable persons. The organisation has a national footprint in all nine provinces. Legal Aid SA is a credible employer of choice, boasting Top Employer SA accreditation for 13 consecutive years. We offer an exciting Employee Value Proposition with opportunities for development, career growth and an inspiring workplace.
Applications are invited from persons interested to fill the above-mentioned position. The incumbent will be appointed on a permanent basis. The position is based at the Legal Aid SA Modimolle Local Office and the successful candidate will be required to travel.
- To provide legal services to farm occupiers, farm workers, labour tenants and restitution claimants, the vulnerable in the coverage area of the unit, in accordance with Legal Aid SA policies, procedures and standards.
- Leading the way in handling complex legal challenges in a professional manner and with dignity.
- Empathise with farm occupiers, farm workers, labour tenants and restitution claimants.
- Mediate and negotiate where there is a dispute between landowners and farm occupiers, farm workers and labour tenants.
- Support, supervise and guide Paralegal in dealing with complex and challenging legal issues in respect of land matters.
- Understand and interpret land reform and relevant legislation, such as the Land Reform Labour Tenants Act, Extension of Security of Tenure Act, Restitution of Land Rights Act, Constitution of the Republic of South Africa and Promotion of Administrative Justice Act (PAJA), et cetera.
- Understand and interpret contracts and agreements.
- Draft pleadings and court documents accurately, drafting heads of arguments and structuring complex legal documents.
- Develop case strategy to ensure professional and expert legal representation in complex civil and criminal matters.
- Provide expert opinion on current law to ensure the highest quality of services provided to Legal Aid SA clients.
- Research current law with a view to developing the law to make it relevant in a constitutional democracy.
- Identify current socio-economic conditions and develop cases for litigation.
- Take comprehensive and accurate statements from clients and ensure the provision of legal services is aligned with and responsive to client needs.
- Training and development to improve own technical and strategic capability and capacitate Paralegal and Admin staff in the Land Rights Management Unit.
- Contribute to the publication of pamphlets, books and flyers.
COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ATTRIBUTES) REQUIRED
- A South African legal tertiary qualification: LLB or B Proc degree.
- Admitted Attorney/Advocate (the latter must have completed pupillage successfully at an institution recognised by Legal Aid SA).
- At least two (2) years’ post-qualification legal experience or exposure to criminal, civil litigation and experience in land rights matters.
- Thorough knowledge of the core legal practice disciplines and how to implement and leverage these within the human rights’ legal environment.
- Thorough knowledge of litigation at District Court level, legal drafting, legal training and development, legal practice ethical and professional compliance management.
- Effective working relationship with Management.
- Excellent organisation and leadership skills and providing consistent, high-quality, professional legal services.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Strong analytical ability and excellent communication skills.
BASIC SALARY: LP3 (R305,973.00) plus benefits per annum
A detailed curriculum vitae reflecting practical application of the position outputs and the required competencies as advertised must be submitted by close of business on 20 September 2022, quoting the reference number MOD/JLP/02/09/2022 in the subject line to LMPRecruit@legal-aid.co.za or apply online at www.legal-aid.co.za
Enquiries to Prescilla Nwandule, Tel: 015 296 0117
The employment decision shall be informed by the Employment Equity Plan of Legal Aid SA. It is Legal Aid SA’s intention to promote equity (race, gender and disability) through the filling of this post(s) with a candidate whose transfer/promotion/appointment will promote representivity in line with the numerical targets as contained in our Employment Equity Plan. Legal Aid SA reserves the right to withdraw posts or not to make an appointment, if by doing so, the interests of Legal Aid SA will be best served.
APPLICANTS NOT CONTACTED WITHIN TWO (2) MONTHS MAY CONSIDER THEIR APPLICATION UNSUCCESSFUL.
Please login/register to apply online