INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL ADVERTISEMENT
BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE DEVELOPER
NATIONAL OFFICE (INFORMATION SYSTEMS DEPARTMENT)
Legal Aid SA is a National Public Entity; a key contributor to South Africa’s constitutional democracy, providing quality legal services to indigent and vulnerable persons. The organisation has a national footprint in all nine (9) provinces. Legal Aid SA is a credible employer of choice, boasting Top Employer SA accreditation for fourteen (14) consecutive years. We offer an exciting Employee Value Proposition with opportunities for development, career growth and an inspiring workplace.
Applications are invited from persons interested to fill the above-mentioned position. The incumbent will be appointed on a permanent basis. The position is based at the Legal Aid SA National Office in Braamfontein.
- The Business Intelligence (BI) Developer plays a critical role in transforming raw data into actionable insights that drive strategic decision-making within an organisation. The purpose of this position is to design, develop and maintain BI solutions, including data models, reports, dashboards and analytics tools.
- The BI Developer collaborates with business stakeholders to understand their data requirements and translate them into effective BI solutions that provide valuable insights for informed decision-making.
- Develop and maintain BI solutions: Design, develop and maintain data models, ETL (Extract, Transform, Load) processes and BI applications to ensure accurate and timely delivery of data-driven insights.
- Data analysis and visualisation: Analyse complex datasets, identify trends, patterns and correlations, and present findings through reports, dashboards and visualisations.
- Requirements gathering and collaboration: Work closely with business stakeholders to understand their data needs, gather requirements and translate them into actionable BI solutions.
- Data integration and management: Extract data from various sources, transform and cleanse it for effective analysis and ensure data quality and integrity throughout the BI process.
- Performance optimisation: Continuously monitor and optimise the performance of BI solutions, including data processing, queries and visualisations, to enhance efficiency and usability.
- Configuration management and change controls: Implement and maintain proper configuration management and change control processes to ensure the stability and reliability of BI solutions. This includes managing version control, documenting changes and adhering to established procedures.
- Data governance and security: Implement and enforce data governance policies, security measures and best practices to ensure the confidentiality, integrity and availability of data assets.
- Training and support: Provide training and support to end-users, helping them understand and effectively utilise the BI solutions to extract insights and make data-driven decisions.
COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & ATTRIBUTES) REQUIRED
- National Senior/Matric certificate plus a three (3) year National Diploma or Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related field.
- Proven experience as a Business Intelligence Developer or in a similar role, with a minimum of 3-5 years in BI development, data analysis, or data engineering.
- Strong understanding of business processes and the ability to translate business requirements into technical solutions.
- Extensive use of MS SQL Server, SSIS and SSRS for developing and maintaining BI solutions.
- Strong experience in TSQL or the writing of complex queries for data extraction, manipulation and optimisation.
- Exposure to Agile project management methodologies, working in iterative and collaborative development environments.
- Strong problem-solving skills: The ability to analyse complex data challenges, identify root causes and propose effective solutions.
- Detail-oriented mindset: A meticulous approach to data analysis, ensuring accuracy, consistency and attention to detail throughout the BI development process.
- Excellent communication skills: The capability to effectively collaborate with diverse stakeholders, understand their requirements and present insights in a clear and concise manner.
- Business acumen: A solid understanding of business processes, industry trends and the ability to align data-driven insights with organisational goals.
- Continuous learning mindset: A curiosity to explore new technologies, methodologies and industry best practices to enhance BI capabilities and deliver innovative solutions.
- Data modeling and SQL: Proficiency in designing and implementing data models, as well as strong SQL skills for data extraction, manipulation and optimisation.
- Business intelligence tools: Experience with popular BI tools such as Power BI, Tableau, QlikView or similar platforms for creating interactive reports, dashboards and visualisations.
- ETL and data integration: Familiarity with ETL processes and data integration techniques using SSIS tool or other tools such as Integrate.io, Talend or Informatica.
- Data visualisation and reporting: Ability to create compelling visualisations and reports that effectively communicate complex data insights to a non-technical audience.
- Data analysis and interpretation: Strong analytical skills to analyse data, identify trends and derive meaningful insights that drive business decisions.
- Database and data warehousing concepts: Knowledge of database systems, data warehousing concepts and familiarity with relational and dimensional data modelling.
BASIC SALARY: Level 12 (R958,824.00) plus benefits per annum
A detailed curriculum vitae reflecting practical application of the position outputs and the required competencies as advertised must be submitted by close of business on 27 June 2023, quoting the reference NO/BID/09/06/2023 number in the subject line to email@example.com or apply online at www.legal-aid.co.za
Enquiries to Blanche Gouws, Tel: 011 877 2000
The employment decision shall be informed by the Employment Equity Plan of Legal Aid SA. It is Legal Aid SA’s intention to promote equity (race, gender and disability) through the filling of this post(s) with a candidate whose transfer/promotion/appointment will promote representivity in line with the numerical targets as contained in our Employment Equity Plan. Legal Aid SA reserves the right to withdraw posts or not to make an appointment, if by doing so, the interests of Legal Aid SA will be best served.
APPLICANTS NOT CONTACTED WITHIN TWO (2) MONTHS MAY CONSIDER THEIR APPLICATION UNSUCCESSFUL.
Please login/register to apply online