Social Relief of Distress grants
Applications for the R350 SASSA Social Relief of Distress grants:
- Above the age of 18;
- Not receiving any income;
- Not receiving any social grant;
- Not receiving any unemployment insurance benefit and does not qualify to receive unemployment insurance benefits;
- Not receiving a stipend from the National Student Financial Aid Scheme; and
- Not a resident in a government funded or subsidised institution.
Prospective applicants will need to provide the following compulsory information for processing of their applications:
- Identity Number;
- Name and Surname as captured in the ID (and initials);
- Gender and Disability;
- Banking details – Bank Name and Account Number;
- Contact details – Cellphone number; and
- Proof of Residential Address.
An application for social relief of distress or a social grant may be lodged electronically over and above any other available means of lodging such applications.
The measures applicable include:
- Sending a WhatsApp message to 0600 123 456 and selecting SASSA, or
- Sending an email to SRD@sassa.gov.za
- Child support grant beneficiaries will receive an extra R300 in May, and from June to October they will receive an additional R500 each month.
- All other grant beneficiaries will receive an extra R250 per month for the next six months.
- In addition, a special COVID-19 Social Relief of Distress grant of R350 a month for the next 6 months will be paid to individuals who are currently unemployed and do not receive any other form of social grant or UIF payment *.
Social grant payments at cash pay points procedure
- SASSA will deploy at least one manager to each pay point to assist with queue management and to attend to enquiries – staff will have protective gear (masks and gloves) and carry hand sanitiser.
- SAPO has committed to having hand sanitiser available for all clients – they will be sanitised just prior to joining a short queue for payment.
- Access to pay points will be limited to control social distancing.
- SAPO staff to be equipped with masks and gloves.
- Security staff will be equipped with masks and gloves.
- Postbank call centre (available 24/7) on 0800 53 54 55 to deal with concerns and complaints related to SASSA/SAPO cards – card replacement, PIN resets and non-payment.
SASSA Call Centre
- The SASSA Call Centre (0800 60 10 11) will be available, although there may be reduced capacity.
- The Call Centre is available during working hours only.
Grant amounts have increased as from 1 April 2020.
- Grants for older persons and disability grants increase to R1 860.
- Grants for war veterans and older persons older than 75 years increase to R1 880.
- Foster child grants increase to R1 040 per child.
- Care dependency grants increase to R1 860.
- Child support grants increase to R440 per child.
Information from Copyright 2020 Government of South Africa.
* The Department of Social Development will issue the requirements needed to access and apply for this funding