INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL ADVERTISEMENT
CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER
SALARY PACKAGE: COMPETITIVE NEGOTIABLE REMUNERATION PACKAGE
Legal Aid SA is a National Public Entity, providing quality legal services to indigent and vulnerable persons. The organisation has a national footprint in all nine provinces. Legal Aid SA is a credible employer of choice, boasting Top Employer SA accreditation for 12 consecutive years. We offer an exciting Employment Value Proposition with opportunities for development, career growth and an inspiring workplace.
Applications are invited from suitable persons interested to fill the above-mentioned position. The incumbent will be expected to sign a performance contract. The position reports to the COO and is based at the National Office in Johannesburg (Braamfontein).
- Participate as a member of the Management Executive Committee with a specific focus on financial management, governance and how financial resources are best leveraged to deliver the overall business objectives in a financially sustainable manner.
- Provide strategic support to the Accounting Officer, Executives and the Board in the implementation of processes in the development of the Legal Aid SA Strategic Plan, MTEF and annual budgets.
- Develop, re-enforce and implement strategies, programmes and systems that will give effect to the sound financial performance of the organisation.
- Lead the embedding and successful execution of common Legal Aid SA financial management policies, processes and practises and influence the appropriate application of organisation-wide standards of excellence in compliance with GRAP, IFRS, the PFMA and other financial reporting standards and best practices.
- Take a leadership role within the organisation and act as a senior financial management business partner to the business; provide recommendations to strategically enhance the current and future financial performance of the organisation.
- Advise and support the Accounting Officer and Executive Management on the financial implications of business activities in the execution of their functions in terms of the PFMA and other relevant legislation.
- Build and execute a road map for how the Finance Department will continue to improve and provide value to the organisation.
- Develop a meaningful financial management strategy that supports the organisation’s achievement of long-term objectives and manage and mitigate strategic financial risks.
- Raise the financial management banner within the organisation, through continuous improvement, functional excellence and business partnership.
- Manage and control expenditure to ensure that the organisation has a sound accounting and payments system to detect and prevent fraud and allow for accurate financial reporting.
- Preparation of the Annual Financial Statements and management of external audits.
- Introduce finance metrics that will guide leadership in measuring and managing organisational performance in relation to sustainable and efficient financial outcomes.
- Oversee the management of finance operations (debtors and creditors management, fixed assets management, supply chain management, investment management, bank and trust fund account management, payroll management) to ensure the achievement of efficiencies, legislative compliance (PFMA, GRAP, IFRS and other relevant legislation) and mitigation of operational risks.
COMPETENCIES (KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES) REQUIRED
- Postgraduate qualification in Finance or Accounting.
- Ten (10) years’ financial management experience in the professional services sector, of which at least 5 years are as the CFO or equivalent.
- A CA (SA) qualification.
- Registration with SAICA.
- Strong knowledge of the core financial management disciplines and how to implement and leverage these within a complex business: budgeting and financial reporting, supply chain management, debtors and creditors management, fixed asset management, cash flow and expenditure management, investment management, trust fund administration and risk management, payroll management.
- Able to create “functional integration” of the financial management function across a national footprint.
- Ability to benchmark operations and work with Senior Management to implement financial management best practice within the organisation.
- Able to partner with the core business to support the achievement of strategic objectives through effective financial management processes.
- Effective working relationship with Senior Management and the Board.
- Able to provide sound advice on governance and financial management to Executives and the Board.
- Excellent organisational and leadership skills, business acumen and the ability to deal with ambiguity, meet demanding deadlines and manage projects.
- Broad and deep experience taking a leading role in driving world-class financial management processes across a national footprint or within a large, complex organisation.
- Experience within a public-funded entity is essential in assisting the incumbent to drive a good governance approach in compliance with the PFMA.
- Experience in building effective working relationships with the National Treasury and Auditor-General of South Africa.
- Experience in strategic planning and execution is preferred.
A detailed curriculum vitae reflecting the practical application of the position outputs and the required competencies as advertised must be submitted by close of business on 27 August 2021 by email, quoting the reference number NO/CFO/20/8/2021 in the subject line to CFORecruit@legal-aid.co.za
Enquiries to Siphesihle Molefe, Tel: 011 877 2000
The employment decision shall be informed by the Employment Equity Plan of Legal Aid SA. It is Legal Aid SA’s intention to promote equity (race, gender and disability) through the filling of this post(s) with a candidate whose transfer/promotion/appointment will promote representivity in line with the numerical targets as contained in our Employment Equity Plan. Legal Aid SA reserves the right to withdraw posts or not to make an appointment, if by doing so, the interests of Legal Aid SA will be best served.