INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL ADVERTISEMENT
NATIONAL OFFICE – BRAAMFONTEIN
Legal Aid SA is a National Public Entity; a key contributor to South Africa’s constitutional democracy, providing quality legal services to indigent and vulnerable persons. The organisation has a national footprint in all nine (9) provinces. Legal Aid SA is a credible employer of choice, boasting Top Employer SA accreditation for fourteen (14) consecutive years. Legal Aid SA offers an exciting Employee Value Proposition with opportunities for development, career growth and an inspiring workplace.
Applications are invited from persons interested to fill in the above-mentioned position. The incumbent will be appointed on a permanent basis. The position is based at the Legal Aid SA National Office in Braamfontein.
- To perform litigious and non–litigious functions on behalf of Legal Aid SA within specified authority parameters and mandates.
- Conduct litigation with regard to the receipt of summonses/motion applications against Legal Aid SA.
- Conduct litigation with regard to the issue of summonses and the launching of applications on behalf of Legal Aid SA.
- Assist the National Operations Department in the compilation of reports to court in terms of section 22 of the Legal Aid South Africa Act 39 of 2014.
- Conduct litigation on behalf of Legal Aid SA in all matters in which Legal Aid SA is a party to the proceedings including but not limited to matters handled by its insurers, and the Human Resources Department with specific regard to labour litigation.
- Draft, negotiate and vet contracts falling within the parameters of authority, ensuring that Legal Aid SA secures the best possible contractual arrangement.
- Provide legal advice to the rest of the organisation regarding contractual options, risks, legal implications and litigious matters.
- Assist the Corporate Legal Manager in the formulation of new policies and procedures as well as amendments to existing policies and procedures from time to time.
- Provide input for management information system reports.
- Adhere to the administration system in the Corporate Legal Section (record keeping and retrieval).
- Assist the Corporate Manager in executing managerial and other responsibilities.
- Supervise and coach Candidate Attorneys.
COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ATTRIBUTES) REQUIRED
- A relevant tertiary legal qualification, e.g., LLB.
- Admitted as an attorney after completion of a recognised tertiary legal qualification.
- Cumulative five (5) years post-admission experience in a corporate legal and/or civil litigation environment.
- High Court or Magistrate’s Court active appearance experience of at least two (2) years prior to the date of the advertisement.
- Letter of good standing with the LPC.
- Right of appearance in the High Court as at the date of the advertisement.
- Minimum of cumulative three (3) years in commercial contract drafting, legal opinions and research as at the date of the advertisement.
- Valid driver’s licence.
BASIC SALARY: LP 7 (R797,901.00) plus benefits per annum
A detailed curriculum vitae reflecting practical application of the position outputs and the required competencies as advertised must be submitted by close of business on 15 February 2023, quoting the reference number NO/CC/27/01/2023 in the subject line to Recruit@legal-aid.co.za or apply online at www.legal-aid.co.za
Enquiries to Siphesihle Molefe, Tel: 011 877 2000
The employment decision shall be informed by the Employment Equity Plan of Legal Aid SA. It is Legal Aid SA’s intention to promote equity (race, gender and disability) through the filling of this post(s) with a candidate whose transfer/promotion/appointment will promote representivity in line with the numerical targets as contained in our Employment Equity Plan. Legal Aid SA reserves the right to withdraw posts or not to make an appointment, if by doing so, the interests of Legal Aid SA will be best served.
APPLICANTS NOT CONTACTED WITHIN TWO (2) MONTHS MAY CONSIDER THEIR APPLICATION UNSUCCESSFUL.
Please login/register to apply online