PRINCIPAL LEGAL PRACTITIONER – CRIMINAL
INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL ADVERTISEMENT
PIETERMARITZBURG LOCAL OFFICE
Legal Aid SA is a National Public Entity; a key contributor to South Africa’s constitutional democracy, providing quality legal services to indigent and vulnerable persons. The organisation has a national footprint in all nine (9) provinces. Legal Aid SA is a credible employer of choice, boasting Top Employer SA accreditation for fourteen (14) consecutive years. We offer an exciting Employee Value Proposition with opportunities for development, career growth and an inspiring workplace.
Applications are invited from persons interested to fill the above-mentioned position. The incumbent will be appointed on a permanent basis. The position is based in Pietermaritzburg.
- Manage legal aid to the poor in the area of jurisdiction.
- Monitor case flow management of Legal Practitioners, Candidate Attorneys and Judicare Practitioners at the courts.
- Support and advise clients in line with common law principles and practice and accurate interpretation of contracts.
- Act as Principal for Candidate Attorneys.
- Supervise and guide Legal Practitioners and Paralegals.
- Train and develop staff.
- Preparation and maintenance of the annual budgets for the Local Office.
- Efficient and effective sound management of Local Office operations.
COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & ATTRIBUTES) REQUIRED
- Admitted attorney or advocate, the latter must have completed pupilage successfully at an institution recognised by Legal Aid SA.
- B Proc or LLB degree.
- At least twelve (12) years’ post-qualification legal experience, with a minimum of ten (10) years’ post-admission experience of which four (4) years should be court experience.
- Excellent leadership and people management skills.
- Must demonstrate an ability to manage a varied practice.
- Demonstrate an ability to train Candidate Attorneys as Legal Practitioners.
- Strong analytical ability and excellent communication skills.
- Must possess a valid driver’s licence.
SALARY: SU-2 (R1,034,924.00) all-inclusive package per annum
A detailed curriculum vitae reflecting practical application of the position outputs and the required competencies as advertised must be submitted by close of business on 30 May 2023 quoting the reference number PMB/PLP-CRIM/12/05/2023 in the subject line to KZNRecruit@legal-aid.co.za or apply online at www.legal-aid.co.za
Enquiries to Ms Sinakho Mrwetyana, Tel: 031 717 8450
The employment decision shall be informed by the Employment Equity Plan of Legal Aid SA. It is Legal Aid SA’s intention to promote equity (race, gender and disability) through the filling of this post(s) with a candidate whose transfer/promotion/appointment will promote representivity in line with the numerical targets as contained in our Employment Equity Plan. Legal Aid SA reserves the right to withdraw posts or not to make an appointment, if by doing so, the interests of Legal Aid SA will be best served.
APPLICANTS NOT CONTACTED WITHIN TWO (2) MONTHS MAY CONSIDER THEIR APPLICATION UNSUCCESSFUL.
Please login/register to apply online