INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL ADVERTISEMENT
NATIONAL OFFICE (INFORMATION SYSTEMS DEPARTMENT)
Legal Aid SA is a National Public Entity; a key contributor to South Africa’s constitutional democracy, providing quality legal services to indigent and vulnerable persons. The organisation has a national footprint in all nine (9) provinces. Legal Aid SA is a credible employer of choice, boasting Top Employer SA accreditation for fourteen (14) consecutive years. We offer an exciting Employee Value Proposition with opportunities for development, career growth and an inspiring workplace.
Applications are invited from persons interested to fill the above-mentioned position. The incumbent will be appointed on a permanent basis. The position is based at the Legal Aid SA National Office in Braamfontein.
- As a Database Administrator (DBA), you will play a crucial role in managing and maintaining the organisation’s database systems. The primary responsibility will be to ensure that Legal Aid SA’s Information Systems database design, business intelligence (BI) database and analysis server is optimised in terms of utilisation and performance.
- Additionally, the role is responsible for optimising the organisation’s database performance, integrity and security across development, testing and production environments. The incumbent is responsible for the installation, administration and maintenance of Microsoft SQL servers, including backups and restores, database access management, diagnosing and debugging database problems, as well as scripting.
- Database Design and Implementation:
- Collaborate with stakeholders to analyse requirements and design efficient and scalable database solutions.
- Create and modify database schemas, tables and indexes to support application needs.
- Optimise database structures and configurations to ensure optimal performance.
- Install and configure BI server software, such as Microsoft Power BI, ensuring proper integration with the underlying databases.
- Set up user access and security permissions on the BI server to ensure data confidentiality and integrity.
- Database Security and Compliance:
- Implement and maintain database and BI server security measures to protect sensitive data from unauthorised access or breaches.
- Monitor and analyse database and BI server access logs to identify potential security vulnerabilities.
- Ensure compliance with relevant data protection regulations, such as POPI.
- Database Performance Optimisation:
- Monitor database and BI server performance and proactively identify and resolve performance bottlenecks.
- Tune and optimise database queries, indexes and configurations to improve system response time.
- Conduct regular performance testing and capacity planning to anticipate future database needs.
- Database Backup and Recovery:
- Develop and implement robust backup and recovery strategies to ensure data integrity and availability.
- Perform routine database backups and verify their successful completion.
- Test and document database recovery procedures to minimise downtime in the event of system failures.
- Database Maintenance and Troubleshooting:
- Perform routine maintenance tasks such as database software patching and upgrades.
- Investigate and resolve database-related issues, including data corruption or system errors.
- Work closely with business intelligence developers, application developers and system administrators to troubleshoot and resolve database-related problems.
- Database Monitoring and Reporting:
- Set up and configure database monitoring tools to proactively identify performance issues or anomalies.
- Generate regular reports on database health, performance, and capacity utilisation.
- Provide insights and recommendations based on database performance metrics.
- Database Documentation and Training:
- Create and maintain comprehensive documentation on database schemas, configurations and processes.
- Develop and deliver training sessions to educate users on database best practices and usage guidelines.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest trends and advancements in database technologies.
COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & ATTRIBUTES) REQUIRED
- A recognised Grade 12 certificate plus a three (3) year National Diploma or Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related field.
- Five (5) years of relevant work experience in an IS Department, of which three (3) years should be in the field of Database Administration.
- Proven experience as a Database Administrator or a similar role, including experience with BI server administration.
- Strong knowledge of relational database management systems (RDBMS) on the Microsoft platform.
- Proficiency in BI server software installation, configuration and administration, such as Microsoft Power BI.
- Familiarity with database and BI server security concepts and best practices.
- Experience in performance tuning and query optimisation.
- Solid understanding of database and BI server backup and recovery processes.
- Excellent analytical skills, business acumen and the ability to deal with ambiguity and meet demanding deadlines and manage projects.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Relevant certifications, such as Microsoft Certified: Azure Database Administrator Associate, are a plus.
- Service excellence is imperative.
- Multi-level and diverse stakeholders.
- Complexity in co-ordinating across organisational levels.
- Networking with relevant stakeholders.
- Integration across all business units.
SALARY: Level 12 (R958,824.00) all-inclusive package
A detailed curriculum vitae reflecting practical application of the position outputs and the required competencies as advertised must be submitted by close of business on 25 July 2023 quoting the reference number NO/IS/DBA/07/07/2023 in the subject line to Recruit@legal-aid.co.za or apply online at www.legal-aid.co.za
Enquiries to Blanche Gouws, Tel: 011 877 2000
The employment decision shall be informed by the Employment Equity Plan of Legal Aid SA. It is Legal Aid SA’s intention to promote equity (race, gender and disability) through the filling of this post(s) with a candidate whose transfer/promotion/appointment will promote representivity in line with the numerical targets as contained in our Employment Equity Plan. Legal Aid SA reserves the right to withdraw posts or not to make an appointment, if by doing so, the interests of Legal Aid SA will be best served.
APPLICANTS NOT CONTACTED WITHIN TWO (2) MONTHS MAY CONSIDER THEIR APPLICATION UNSUCCESSFUL.
Please login/register to apply online