INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL ADVERTISEMENT
CHIEF RISK OFFICER
SALARY PACKAGE: R1 057 326 (Level 13)
Legal Aid SA is a National Public Entity; a key contributor to South Africa’s constitutional democracy, providing quality legal services to indigent and vulnerable persons. The organisation has a national footprint in all nine provinces. Legal Aid SA is a credible employer of choice, boasting Top Employer SA accreditation for 11 consecutive years. We offer an exciting Employment Value Proposition with opportunities for development, career growth and an inspiring workplace.
Applications are invited from persons interested to fill the above-mentioned position. The incumbent will be expected to sign a performance contract. The position reports to the COO and is based at the National Office in Johannesburg (Braamfontein).
- In partnership with M/Exco and Senior Management, lead research, review and enhancement of Legal Aid SA’s risk management strategy, risk management policy, risk and risk opportunity identification and assessment methodology, risk appetite, tolerance and classification, and risk management implementation, on an ongoing
- Create, promote and maintain a culture of risk awareness and accountability within Legal Aid SA.
- Create, promote and maintain a culture of compliance awareness and accountability within Legal Aid SA.
- Evaluate the status of risk management maturity within Legal Aid SA on an annual basis and report to various stakeholders with recommendations to continuously improve maturity.
- Facilitate Business Continuity Management in Legal Aid SA, including planning and directing business analysis, risk modelling, and loss prevention programmes.
- Provide the Audit Committee with assurance that Business Units throughout Legal Aid SA have appropriate risk management processes in place to enable management to discharge their accountability for risk management and compliance.
- Ensure consistency in the evaluation and reporting of risks and compliance throughout Legal Aid SA.
- Facilitate the implementation of programmes that ensure deliberate organisational attention is given to identify potential opportunities that could be exploited to improve organisational performance.
- Liaise with the Internal Audit Department to facilitate the generation of a risk-based Internal Audit plan.
- Assist in ensuring that all significant risks are covered by the Combined Assurance providers.
- Ensure that the organisation’s risk management framework and implementation plan is communicated to all stakeholders, and monitor its implementation on a regular basis.
- Facilitate orientation and training for the Board Committees and ensure the training of all stakeholders in their risk management functions.
- Develop management reports, including risk watch reports, and disseminate to various stakeholders.
- Develop risk intelligence systems to predict and identify emerging risks.
- Conduct programmes to facilitate the awareness of Legal Aid SA’s anti-corruption and fraud prevention campaign.
COMPETENCIES (KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES) REQUIRED
- A relevant tertiary recognised qualification.
- MBA or equivalent will be an added benefit.
- Ten (10) years’ risk management experience in the professional services sector, of which at least 5 years are in a senior management position.
- Registration with a recognised professional body will be an advantage.
- Ability to set the strategic risk management vision and the ability to deliver the strategy to the organisation using exceptional leadership skills, a network of internal and external alliances and highly developed business skills.
- Familiar with a variety of the risk management field’s concepts, practices and procedures.
- In-depth knowledge of risk and compliance and how to implement and leverage these within a complex business environment.
- Working knowledge of the Constitution, PFMA, National Treasury Regulations, Legal Aid SA Act and other relevant statutes; the King IV Code of Corporate Governance, and compliance regulations.
- Project management experience is essential; people development approach and strong people management skills.
- Able to create ‘functional integration’ between the Board, Executive and organisation as a whole.
- Able to partner with the CEO and Executive Management to support the achievement of strategic objectives through effective enterprise risk management processes.
A detailed curriculum vitae reflecting the practical application of the position outputs and the required competencies as advertised must be submitted by close of business on 28 May 2020 by email, quoting the reference number NO/CRO/12/05/2020 in the subject line to LABRecruit@legal-aid.co.za
Enquiries to Siphesihle Molefe, Tel: 011 877 2000
Preference will be given to candidates in terms of the Legal Aid SA Employment Equity Plan.
People with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
LEGAL AID SA RESERVES THE RIGHT NOT TO APPOINT.